- Your Government
2020 General Election at a GlanceAll voters may choose to vote in person or via mail
General Election:Tuesday, November 3rd
Early Voting:September 18th-November 2nd at the Brookings City & County Government Center
Voter Registration Deadline:October 19th
(Registered voters may vote at whichever vote center they choose)
|Little Hall||Holy Life Tabernacle||Community Room||Community Center||Community Center||McKnight Hall|
|Bethel Baptist Church|
Brookings County Elections Commonly Asked Questions:
- When is the 2020 General Election? Tuesday, November 3rd
- Will I be able to vote in person? Yes! The Vote Centers will be open Tuesday, November 3rd from 7:00 am. To 7:00 p.m. at the following locations: Aurora Little Hall, Elkton Community Center, McKnight Hall in White, Bruce Community Room, Volga Community Center, the Activity Center in Brookings, Holy Life Tabernacle in Brookings, and Bethel Baptist Church in Brookings. You can also vote early beginning Friday, September 18th at the Brookings City & County Government Center from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday until Monday, November 2nd.
- Will I be able to vote via mail? Yes! Please contact the Brookings County Finance Office at (605)696-8250 to have an absentee ballot sent to you.
- Can I see a sample ballot? Yes! Click these links to see your ballot for District 4 or District 7 or visit the Secretary of State's webpage and enter your information to see your ballot: https://vip.sdsos.gov/VIPLogin.aspx
- Can I vote before Election Day? Yes! From September 18th to November 2nd, you can vote via absentee ballot or in person at the Brookings City & County Government Center from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.
- Can I still register to vote? Yes! The voter registration deadline is Monday, October 19th. You can register by calling the Brookings County Finance Office at (605)696-8250 or at www.sdsos.gov
- I am unsure as to whether I asked to have an absentee ballot mailed to me when I filled out the Absentee Ballot Request Application mailed to me by the Secretary of State’s Office in April. How can I know for sure? Call the Brookings County Finance Office at (605)696-8205 and they can tell you.
- I asked for a general election absentee ballot when I filled out the Absentee Ballot Request Application mailed to me by the Secretary of State’s Office in April, but now I would rather vote in person. Is that possible? Yes! Even if you asked for an absentee ballot for the November General Election, you can still vote in person IF YOU DO NOT FILL OUT THE ABSENTEE BALLOT.
- If I vote absentee, when/how is my ballot counted? Absentee ballots are held by the Finance Office until Election Day. They are counted starting at 7:00 p.m. with the Election Day ballots.
The County Finance Office & Elections
The County Finance Office is responsible for coordinating all countywide elections, including primary and general Elections.This office is responsible for the master voter registration list for Brookings County. They are located on the first floor (suite 100) of the Brookings City & County Government Center at 520 3rd Street, Brookings. They can be reached at (605)696-8250.
Registering & Absentee Ballots
Brookings County residents can register to vote and request absentee ballots for countywide, primary and general elections from the County Finance Office.
To view your sample ballot, you can either stop in to the Brookings City & County Government Center, or visit the Secretary of State website's Voter Information Portal.